As you may be aware, at Lincoln we discuss budget year-round.
We start the budget process at the end of May (The first meeting to discuss the 2019 Budget will be May 16th 2018) and in regular years we have the budget ratified by early December. This allows us to plan comprehensively and keep top of mind all objectives and priorities that we are considering throughout the year thereby ensuring that they are in the budget planning process.
(Note that during an election year certain decision making powers are restricted under The Municipal Act changing the budget schedule – We still have the budget finalized by mid-February – see below)
By ensuring that our budget is finalized in December of the prior year (as opposed to some Municipalities that wait until the new year to start the budget process for that year) – we get our project tenders out right off the hop in January and typically we get very good pricing as a result.
These are all public meetings. Council has been focusing on trying to enhance public participation in the budget process by holding more frequent public information sessions, posting on-line surveys, and focus groups.
Keep your eye out for notices in the local paper, on-line, and through social media through our communications department and feel free to send comments/questions directly to me and/or Councillor Rob Foster at:
TOWN OF LINCOLN 2019 BUDGET SCHEDULE…..
- Wednesday, May 16, 2018 (CBP-COW) Budget Overview
- Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Launch of Public Outreach Survey , Public outreach ongoing throughout year – focus groups, Board/Agency outreach
- Wednesday July 18, 2018 (CBP-COW) Budget Engagement Update 2017 Year in Review
- Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Introduction of the Budget Process
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10 Year Capital Plan Friday
- December 7, 2018 Budget distributed to Council
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019 First Council Business Planning COW meeting to review Capital Budget
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Second Council Business Planning COW meeting to review Capital Budget
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019 First Council Business Planning COW meeting to review Operating Budget
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Second Council Business Planning COW meeting to review Operating Budget
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019 Council Business Planning COW meeting final review of 2019 Operating and Capital Budgets, including formal public meeting Monday, February 18, 2019 : Regular Council meeting for final adoption of 2019 Operating and Capital Budgets